simple simnel cake by mary berry
My baking is enhanced with marzipan in the middle, which adds a delicious almond flavor to the sponge.
Basic ingredients for simple simnel cake by mary berry
- 115g of baking margarine
- 115g caster Sugar, and extra for rolling out
- 2 large, free-range eggs,
- 125g self-raising flour,
- 225g mixed fruit,
- 75g glace cherries,
- 500g Marzipan Apricot Jam Cocoa powder, for dusting
How to make simple simnel cake by mary berry
- Pre-heat oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas.
- Now Line the sides and base of a 6-inch round cake tin.
- Mix the sugar and margarine until smooth. Mix in one egg and a tablespoon of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in the second egg. Beat again. Stir in all four eggs and all of the fruit.
- Now Spread a little icing sugar onto a work surface. Roll out a 6-inch circle of marzipan. After this, fill the tin with half of the cake mix.
- Add the marzipan round and then the rest.
- Now Bake for one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes, or until a skewer is inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Now let cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then take it out and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Apply a thin layer of jam to the top of your cake. After this, Use the cake tin to cut another round of marzipan, and use it to top the cake.
- Now Use the rest of the marzipan to make 11 mini balls. Place the marzipan balls around the edges of the cake. After this, Use the jam to hold them in place. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.