mary berry sweet and sour chicken
Basic ingredients for mary berry sweet and sour chicken
- 300gms Boneless chicken in bite-sized pieces
- For the Batter: All-Purpose Flour 3 tbsp
- measure Cornflour
- Baking Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Egg white 1 egg
- Chilled water 4 tbsp
- Sweet & Sour Sauce: Tomato Ketchup 4 tbsp
- Sugar 3 tbsp
- White Vinegar 3 tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce 3/4 tsp
- Other Ingredients: Green bell peppers/capsicum cubed 1 Cup (around 70gms)
- Red bell peppers/capsicum cubed1 Cup (around 70gms).
- Oil 1/2 Tbsp oil + oil to deep fry the chicken
How to make mary berry sweet and sour chicken
- Drain the chicken pieces/fillets and wash them. If necessary, dry the chicken pieces/fillets and then cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Mixing boneless white and dark meat makes the chicken pieces moist, juicy, and delicious. Marinate the chicken with salt and pepper powder. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce together in a small bowl. Set aside for use later. Make the batter/mix according to the instructions.
- In a wok, skillet, or Kadai heat oil to deep fry the chicken.
- When the oil has reached medium heat, coat the chicken pieces with the batter. Then, drop them side by side in the oil to ensure that they don’t crowd the pan.
- Cook the pieces of chicken on medium heat for one minute, without turning. Continue turning the pieces and frying them for another 4-5 minutes until golden. You can take it out and continue the process with the next batch.
- Next, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a wok/Kadai. Now Keep the heat on high and add the chopped peppers. Stir fry for one minute on high heat. Then add the sweet and sour sauce.
- After this, Stir fry for another minute on high heat until the sauce becomes thick. Mix the chicken pieces and add to the pan. Stir fry until coated with the sauce. It should take approximately 2 minutes. Serve with noodles or fried potatoes.