quick flaky pastry recipe
Although I love baking, I don’t like using too much butter or not being able to use other oils. This recipe is super simple and is based on Chinese Flaky Pastry. It’s made with olive oil. Do give it a shot. Oil-based pie crusts can be crumbly and just plain disgusting. But this one is so amazing, I know I will be using it a lot more in the future.
Basic ingredients for quick flaky pastry recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup olive oil
- chili flakes/paprika/cayenne pepper, and Italian herbs to taste
How to quick flaky pastry recipe
- To make a smooth dough, combine 1 1/3 cups of flour with 1/3 cup of olive oil and water.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining flour (1 1/3 cups) with the rest (2/3 cup) of the olive oils to create a smooth paste.
- Divide the dough into four portions.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface. With one portion of the dough, roll out a 1/4-inch thick circle. Place a quarter of the flour paste and olive oil in the middle. Leave a border of 3 to 4 inches along the edges of the circle.
- Place the flour paste and olive oil in the middle of the circle. Seal with a pinch.
- Form the pastry into a rectangle approximately 4 inches in width.
- Roll the pastry with your hands into a cylindrical shape. Roll the pastry down.
- Place the rolled pastry in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. Continue with the remaining three portions.
- Flatten the cylindrical and gently roll it between wax paper, cling wrap, and food-safe bags. If you prefer it less flaky and firmer (ie. the letter fold), then fold the rectangle in thirds (the letter fold) twice. For a quiche,
- You can use the pastry for many other savory dishes, such as quiches, meat pies, and turnovers. It is delicious, crispy, and low in saturated fat.
- Now It’s easy to make and only requires three ingredients. The chilling step can be skipped.