lentil shepherds pie
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie Today, you will learn how to make vegetable Shepherd’s pie using lentils and mushrooms. This nutritious Shepherd’s pie is full of veggies and lots of flavors! This recipe doesn’t use meat but retains a meaty texture.
Basic ingredients for lentil shepherds pie
- 1 large onion, chopped 3 medium-sized carrots, and chopped 8 oz button mushroom, minced
- 3 cups tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked lentils or canned lentils
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1.5 cups Greek yogurt
How ddo you make lentil shepherds pie
- Cook the onion and carrots for about 5-6 minutes, or until they become soft.
- Cook for 5 minutes more, then add the mushrooms, bay leaves, and rosemary.
- Cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, and continue to cook. Then, add red wine to the pan and scrape the bottom.
- Season the pan with vegetable broth, cooked lentils, and frozen peas.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce as well as soy sauce.
- After this, Bring to boil and Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes until thickened.
- Cook the potatoes until tender. After this, use a potato ricer or masher to mash the potatoes. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and stir.
- After this, Continue to cook for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Incorporate the butter garlic and Greek yogurt into the potatoes.
- Mix the potatoes with the spatula until smooth. Season with salt, black pepper, and season with salt. Place the lentil mixture in a casserole dish. Spread the lentil mixture evenly on a casserole pan. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.