mary berry joe lycett chicken and mushroom pie
Basic ingredients for mary berry joe lycett chicken and mushroom pie
- 1.5lb (680g), Chicken, bone-in and skin-on breast 4 slices of bacon
- 1 1/4 cup (190g), yellow onion
- 2 tbsp (30ml), fresh thyme
- 2 cups (480ml), chicken broth 2-5 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml), mustard
- 1 Tbsp (15ml), heavy cream (if needed)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, store-bought
- 1 egg
How to make mary berry joe lycett chicken and mushroom pie
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200g). Bake the chicken for 45 minutes on a baking sheet with a rack. Allow cooling. To remove seams, roll the pastry out. Draw diagonal lines vertically across the pastry in opposite directions.
- Be careful not to cut through it. Otherwise, the sauce will rise and spill over the pastry. This will prevent the pastry from puffing up completely. Keep the pastry covered with parchment paper on a baking sheet and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
- Cook bacon in a cast-iron skillet 10 inches (25 cm) long. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel. The fat from the pan should be kept! The bacon fat will be used to cook the onions until they are tender and fragrant.
- Next, add the thyme. Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Next, remove the onions using a slotted spoon. Transfer them to a large bowl. You can keep the fat! Sauté the mushrooms in the bacon fat. If necessary, add 1 tbsp (15g!) of butter. Sautée mushrooms until they turn golden brown, and then let them release their juices.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms. Wash the pan well. Heat the butter in a saucepan. After it, the melted, add the flour and whisk to form a paste.
- Next, add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined. Let simmer.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Set aside. Mix in the onions and mushrooms, as well as the chicken. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, season with salt and pepper. Let cool for 15 minutes. While the pastry cools, prepare the puff pastry.
- The pastry should be taken out of the fridge. Transfer the pastry to the cooled filling. Tuck the pastry under all sides into the pan. Brush with the beaten egg.
- To ensure that the pastry does not get too warm, place the entire pan in the freezer for 10 mins to set it up again before baking. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Now Take it out of the oven and place it on the table. Enjoy this mary berry joe lycett chicken and mushroom pie.