eccles cakes recipe are not actake. It’s more of a turnover. This cake comes from North England. It is made from puff pastry (flour pastry with butter), filled with currants/raisins, mixed fruits with spices, and sometimes topped off with demerara sugar. Eccles Cake, a British traditional snack, is round in shape. It’s best eaten warm. This Eccles Cake uses orange peel and puff pastry from a store.
Basic Ingredients for eccles cakes recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried currants/raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped orange peel or candied mixed fruits peel
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed spice/pumpkin spice
- 1 frozen package ready to bake puff pastry. Thaw before using
- 1 egg white, beat Optional: 1/4 cup of white sugar as decoration
How do you make eccles cakes recipe
- In a small saucepan melt butter on medium heat and after this Stir in the currants, mixed peels, demerara sugar, and mixed spice. Stir until sugar dissolves and the fruit is coated. Turn off heat.
- While you wait, heat the oven to 425°F (220° C). Meanwhile, butter a baking sheet.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut four equal squares or rounds with a knife or scissors. Divide the fruit mixture equally between the circles/squares. Now Paste the fruit mixture on the pastry edges. Seal the edges by pressing down.
- Each cake should be brushed with egg white. If desired, sprinkle with white sugar.
- in the oven bake for fifteen minutes or until golden