chicken and asparagus fricassee
A great weeknight meal is chicken fricassee. This French classic one-pan meal is easy to prepare and can be modified to suit your needs and family.
Basic ingredients for chicken and asparagus fricassee
- 1 roasted roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow pearl onions peeled
- Quartered button mushrooms – 1 lb
- 2 minced cloves finely chopped garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay, or any other dry white wine, 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Parsley sprigs
- 3 Thyme sprigs
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper for a delicious taste
How to make chicken and asparagus fricassee
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place the butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven and heat on medium-high heat.
- Now Place the chicken skin-side down in a large pot.
- Set aside the chicken. Next, add the mushrooms and onions to the pan.
- After this, Continue cooking on low heat for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cook the garlic for one more minute, then add the lemon juice.
- Mix in the flour and then add the wine. Stir until well combined. Finally, add the stock.
- Now cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat to medium heat, or until it thickens like gravy. See Note.
- Mix in the bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- After this, Cover the chicken with a lid, place it back in the pan, and let it cook for about 25-30 minutes, or until it is cooked through and 165° internal.
- Mix the heavy cream with the lid off. Serve warm.
- NOTES – Make-ahead – This can be made up to 2 hours in advance. Simply keep it warm at 200°C with a cover over top. How to Heat – Place the chicken fricassee in a medium saucepan with a lid. Heat on low heat until it is hot, or bake at 350deg for 15 minutes or until it becomes hot.