mary berry all in one Christmas cake
Basic Ingredients for mary berry all in one Christmas cake
- 225g / 8oz plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 225g / 8oz dark brown soft sugar
- 4 large eggs – beaten
- 1 tablespoon black treacle (1 dessertspoons if you don’t have black treacle) 225g / 8oz soft butter
- 50g / 2oz chopped nuts
Tips Mixed Spice can be bought ready-made, but I have a recipe that you can make yourself
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
How do you make mary berry all in one Christmas cake
- Grease an 8″/20cm cake pan and line it with greaseproof paper.
- Heat regular oven to 140°C/275°F gas mark 1. (Adjust for fan oven).
- After this, Combine the flour, salt, and spices in a large bowl.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together in a separate bowl until it is smooth and fluffy. You can use a mixer, electric hand whisk, or a blender.
- While your mixer or electric whisk is still running, add 1 teaspoon of the beaten eggs and 1 teaspoon flour mix. Mix well. Continue mixing until you have used up all of the egg mixtures.
- Gently fold the remaining flour into the butter and egg mixture.
- Gently fold the pre-soaked fruit mixture and chopped nuts into the batter.
- Top tips: Before using a treacle, place a dessert spoon into a cup of warm water.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Use a spoon to spread it evenly.
- PLEASE NOTE: if you don’t want to decorate the cake using marzipan or icing, blanched almonds can be added to the top.
- Now cut a one-inch hole in the middle of the greaseproof paper discs and place them on top of your cake. After this, Bake the cake on the lowest rack of the oven for 4 hours. If it does not, cook for 30 minutes more.
- After this, Allow the cake to cool in the tin for about thirty minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack. You can serve the cake cold by dipping a small spoon in brandy.
- Wrap the cake with foil and cling film. If possible, store the cake in an airtight container for two weeks. Continue to ‘feed” the cake until it is ready to be iced or eaten.