bechamel sauce recipe
Bechamel Sauce is a classic French dish. This white, dairy-based sauce is thickened with butter and flour. You can use it as a base for many French sauces, or you can serve it on its own.
Basic ingredients for bechamel sauce recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
How to make bechamel sauce recipe
- Heat butter in a saucepan on low heat. Mix in the flour, and heat on medium. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and whisk to combine.
- Mix the ingredients in a saucepan. Heat on low heat. Whisk constantly to keep it from sticking to your hands. It will thicken as it simmers and should coat the backside of a spoon.
- Season the dish by adding nutmeg, salt, and white pepper to your liking. Serve immediately
- Notes on the Recipe: Cheesy Bechamel Sauce: Make the sauce according to directions and then add 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until it is melted.
- Adjusting the thickness: The recipe as written makes an average-thick sauce that can be used to coat the pasta. Reduce the butter and flour to 2 tablespoons each for a thinner white sauce. You can make a thick white sauce by adding 1/2 cup butter and flour.