winter beef casserole
Basic ingredients for winter beef casserole
- 1 Kg (2 lbs) stewing beef
- 2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil Salt and pepper for taste
- 60mL (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 15 to 30mL (1.-2 Tbsp), Marmite or Vegemite
- 500mL (2 cups) chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup stout or dark beer 2 to 4 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 to 3 ribs celery, chopped
How to make winter beef casserole
- Pre-heat oven to 325oF. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Season the beef with salt & pepper. Place a cast-iron Dutch oven on high heat and oil the bottom. The beef should be browned in small batches.
- Put all the beef back into the Dutch oven. While the Dutch oven is still on high, add the tomato paste. Mix in the tomato paste. After a few minutes, add the oil and beef juices to the Dutch oven.
- Finally, stir in the Marmite. Continue to fry the beef, tomato and Marmite, until you have a great fond.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan. Add the beer, garlic, beer, onion, and carrot. Bring to a gentle boil. Cover and bake in the oven for 3-4 hrs.