mary berry open apple tart
Basic ingredients for mary berry open apple tart
- Crust: 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, with extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp finely cut fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp of sour cream
- Filling: 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup Royal Gala apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup grated medium cheese (orange), 4 oz Brie cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz Blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 Egg, combined with 2 tbsp of water for eggwash
How to make mary berry open apple tart
- Crust:To make the crust, combine flour with sugar, Parmesan, and cornmeal. Blend in butter until you have a crumbly texture. Mix water and sour cream until well combined.
- Add to the flour mixture. Mix until the dough is smooth. Form into two logs and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for at least one hour.
- Filling:Bake at 375F (190C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine apple butter with sour cream to make a filling. Toss the apples in a large bowl with the sugar, green onions, and rosemary.
- Assemble: Each log of chilled dough should be cut into 15 pieces. Roll each slice out to 1/4-inch thickness (about 2 1/2-inches wide) on a floured surface. Place onto a baking tray.
- Place a small amount of apple butter mixture in the middle of each circle. Then, spoon 2 Tbsp apple butter over each apple butter mixture.
- Top 10 tarts with grated cheddar, 10, with a slice of brie, and 10, with blue cheese crumbles.
- Place the edges of the dough on top of the apples.
- Bake the pastry for 25-30 minutes until it is golden brown. Brush with egg wash. Serve at room temperature or warm.
- You can prepare the tarts ahead of time and bake them in advance. The tarts can then be re-warmed in an oven at 325F for 10 minutes.