one pot chicken and rice
Basic ingredients for one pot chicken and rice
- Boneless chicken pieces 500gms
- Basmati Rice 2 US Cups measure (375-400gms)
- For Marination: Turmeric Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder 1.5 tsp
- Whisked Curd/Yogurt 4 Tbsp
- Salt 1 Tsp
- Whole Spices:Star Anise 2
- Whole Black Peppercorns 10-12
- Bay Leaves 2
- Spice Powders: Coriander Powder 2.5 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
- Other Ingredients: Onions sliced 2 (150gms)
- Green Chillies slit 2-4
- Ginger Garlic paste 2.5 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped 4 to 4 tbsp and +1 tbsp as garnish
- Mint leaves chopped 2-3 Tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Refined oil 3-4 tbsp
- Thick Coconut milk 100 ml
How to make one pot chicken and rice
- Marinate the pieces of chicken with the items listed and let rest for 30 minutes. Wash and soak the Basmati rice for 30 minutes. Cut the onions and the green chilies into small pieces. Chop the mint leaves and coriander. You can make your coconut milk from scratch or buy readymade.
- After this, Place the chicken pieces in a single layer on a plate. The pieces should be seared on medium heat for three minutes until they are golden brown. Flip the pieces over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Set aside on a plate. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Now add the whole spices and stir. Finally, add the sliced onions. Cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until light brown.
- Stir fry the ginger garlic paste for 2 minutes on low heat. Stir fry the chicken pieces for about a minute. Add the Garam masala and coriander powder to the pan. Stir and fry the pieces of chicken on low heat for 2 minutes. Mix 100 ml coconut cream with 500 ml of water. Turn the heat to high.
- Add chopped coriander, mint leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir the water, and then let it boil for a few minutes. – Stir the drained rice into the boiling water. The rice should be cooked on medium heat for five minutes. Give the rice a gentle stir again.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Cover the pot with a lid and give it a gentle stir. Now Continue cooking on low heat for 5 minutes more. After it is done, garnish with the chopped coriander leaves. Now let it rest for about 15-20 minutes before serving.