fruit scones buttermilk
Basic ingredients for fruit scones buttermilk
- 350g self-raising flour plus additional for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 85g butter Cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 175ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- a squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 50g sultanas
- 50g Cranberries
- Beat egg
- to glaze jam and cream, to serve
How to make fruit scones buttermilk
- Oven at 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Now mix the flour with the baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the butter and then use your fingers to blitz the mixture until it looks like fine crumbs.
- Add the sugar. After this, Heat the milk in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds until it is warm but not hot. Now The vanilla and lemon juice should be added to the milk. Leave it aside for a while.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven. Make a well in your dry mixture, then add the liquid, sultanas, and cranberries. Mix it quickly using a knife. It will appear quite wet at first.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface, and then tip the dough out. After dredging the dough with flour, dust your hands with more flour. Then fold the dough 2-3 times to make it smoother. Pat the dough into a 4 cm deep round pan. Now Use a 6cm cookie cutter to cut the dough.
- Dip it in flour. Make four scones by dipping your cutter into flour. To make four more scones, you may have to roll the dough into a circle. After this, Place the tops on a baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve warm or cold, generously topped by jam and clotted crème. Freeze once cool if freezing. Once defrosted, place in a low oven (about 160C/140C fan/gas 3 for a few minutes to refresh.