Basic ingredients for aubergine melanzane
- 2 large fresh Mozzarella Fresh basil leaves (washed),
- 1/2 carrot (chopped),
- 1/2 onion (chopped),
- 1.2L extra virgin olive oil Vegetable oil (for deep frying),
- 5 medium-sized tall eggplants.
How to make aubergine melanzane
- PREPARE THE EGGPLANT:Slice the eggplant into long strips.
- Place them in a bowl. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Now Allow it to sit for 20 minutes to eliminate any bitterness or excess water. Put some flour on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- After drying each eggplant strip with a paper towel, flour each side and gently press down with your hands.
- After you are done, heat some vegetable oil in the frying pan. Once each strip is browned,
- You can now remove the oil from the pan and place it on a large plate or tray lined with paper towels. This will help you get rid of any excess oil.
- VINCENZO’SPLATE TIP – You can cook or bake the eggplants in a healthier way than frying them. THE SAUCE: To a large saucepan or deep pot, add a good amount of extra virgin oil (EVOO). Once the oil has boiled, add the chopped carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Mix in the tomato polpa, and then stir well.
- Mix in the fresh basil leaves. Now The sauce should be cooked for about 20 minutes, otherwise, it will thicken. Keep stirring the sauce every few minutes.
- Take the sauce off the stove.
- THE DISH:preheat the oven to 180°. Use a ladle to spread small amounts of the sauce on your baking tray. Spread the sauce with the bottom of a ladle to keep it from getting too thick.
- Start by layering the eggplant strips at the base. Next, layer two more and then three more.
- Spread more tomato sauce over the top. Be generous with your sauce. Make sure you add sauce to all four corners of the dish so that it doesn’t dry and burn in the oven.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella on top. Then, grate the Parmesan cheese over it.
- Then add another layer of eggplant strips or layers to the top, and then repeat the process.
- Do it again, but do not add the mozzarella at the top. Instead, add the parmesan.
- Depending on oven power, bake the dish for 30-40 minutes
- HOW TO SERVE: Allow the eggplant Parmigiana to cool for around 15-20 minutes before cutting it into squares or strips for your dish. Garnish with the basil to add a finishing touch. Enjoy this recipe aubergine melanzane.