chicken and vegetable pie mary berry
Basic ingredients for chicken and vegetable pie mary berry
- 400g Chicken (Diced or Ripped)
- 200g Diced Carrots (Sliced)
- 100g Peas
- 40g Butter
- 40g Plain Flour
- 1 Tbs dry Thyme
- 2 chicken Stock Cubes
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 500ml Stock
- 1 Egg (Beaten). Shortcrust Pastry
How to make chicken and vegetable pie mary berry
- Cut the carrots into small pieces. Now Place the peas in a saucepan of boiling water and bring it to a boil. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Now In a cast iron skillet melt the butter. Next, add the thyme and sliced leek to the pan.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the leek becomes soft. Make 500ml stock by using two chicken stock cubes and one beef stock cube. Once the Leek is cooked, boil 500ml of water to dissolve them. Now Mix the flour and butter until you have a roux.
- Add 500 ml stock to the leeks and mix until you have a thick gravy. The rippen chicken should be mixed into the gravy. Drain your vegetables. Once the vegetables are slightly cooled, add them to the pie filling. Now Make the pastry by mixing the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter to the flour by cutting it into cubes. Use your fingers to form a breadcrumb texture. Use a fork to combine the ingredients. Then use your hands to form a ball of dough. Cover the pastry with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes before you use it to make the pie bases and lids.
- Divide the pastry into two pieces and roll one sheet for the base and the other for the lid. The pastry base should be rolled out on the bottom of a pie plate. Next, fill the dish with the mixture. If you wish to decorate the pie, cover it with the remaining pastry. Put 1 egg in a glass. Now Use a pastry brush to brush the entire lid. Let the pie cool for 30 minutes. After this, Bake the pie in the oven for 30 minutes, or until it is golden brown.