traditional rice pudding recipe
There is another tradition that the East Indians observe on All Souls Day. We make a rice pudding known as Atola with the newly harvested rice and offer it as a tribute to our Ancestors.
Basic Ingredients for traditional rice pudding recipe
- 1 cup – new harvest rice (washed)
- 1/2 cup – Chowli beans soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup – Jaggery (add as per your taste)
Milk of half a coconut (separate the thin & thick milk)
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp or 4 to 5 cardamom powdered with a little sugar.
- Water as required.
How to make traditional rice pudding recipe
- In a vessel add the rice, chowli beans, salt, and 2 cups of thin coconut milk & 2 cups water.
- Place this on a medium flame and cook until the chowli beans and rice turn soft.
- Add in the jaggery (I used organic jaggery powder)
- Cover and cook till the jaggery melts and then add the cardamom powder.
- Add warm water if you want the pudding to be thinner
- Finally, add one cup of thick coconut milk.
Simmer for a minute and then switch off the flame