steamed sponge pudding recipe
Basic ingredients for steamed sponge pudding recipe
- 1 heaped cup self-raising wheat flour (or plain flour mixed with half a teaspoon of baking powder)
- 3/4 cup white caster sugar (other sugars may work if it’s what you have)
- 1 egg plus one white egg
- 1 egg plus the white from another egg
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground star anise and cinnamon (You can add more spice if you wish, but this particular amount enhances the banana flavor).
- Golden syrup or thick sugar syrup, honey, or honey
How to make steamed sponge pudding recipe
- Choose a heatproof bowl, or pudding basin, that can hold at least three cups. test it with water and then dry it. Now A saucepan large enough to hold the bowl is required.
- Blend the butter and sugar in a large bowl until you have a smooth paste. Set aside the yolk of one egg. Mix the sugar/butter mixture with the yolk of the other egg. Add the white separated from the egg and beat it until well combined. Peel and mash bananas.
- Add this to the mixture. Beat until well combined. Next, add the flour, one tablespoon at a time. Spread some butter in the pudding bowl. Finally, add two or three tablespoons of syrup into the bowl. To make sure the syrup doesn’t get everywhere, add the cake batter to the bowl.
- Place a layer on the bowl of baking parchment or greaseproof paper, and then add a layer with foil. Secure the foil around the rim using string. Remove any excess foil or paper.
- Add enough water to the large saucepan so that the water level rises about 2/3 of the height of the pudding bowl. This pan should be placed on a stovetop or oven top. Place the bowl of pudding into the pan. Adjust the heat to bring the water to a gentle boil.
- Cook the pudding for 90 minutes. However, you should check the water level once every 15 to 20 minutes. Do not let it boil dry. Now Take the bowl out of the boiling water and carefully lift it out. Then, use a wooden or metal skewer to test the cake.
- Remember to ensure that the cake does not stick to the sides, run a knife around inside the bowl. The bowl should be placed on a plate. To make the pudding, invert the bowl and plate. If desired, you can add a little more syrup to top the pudding.