rhubarb and ginger jam
This jam is really easy to make and is perfect for toast. This makes one large jar and three very small jars. This post (mainly about the end product) was requested by my mum because this jam is one of her favorites.
Basic ingredients for rhubarb and ginger jam
- Rhubarb, 450g/1lb
- I used granulated sugar (450g/1lb).
- Grated ginger OR finely diced preserved or crystallized ginger OR one teaspoon of ground ginger
- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice (do not add if sugar has pectin added)
How to make rhubarb and ginger jam
- Clean the rhubarb and remove any impurities (make sure you weigh this after and replace it).
- Rhubarb should be cut into roughly 1.5cm (half-inch) pieces.
- Mix the rhubarb with the sugar, lemon, and ginger in a bowl and allow it to stand for two hours.
- In a large saucepan or preserving pan, combine the sugar and the contents of the mixing bowl. Heat gently until dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring the mixture to a boil and heat until it reaches the setting point.
- Place a waxed paper disk (wax facing down) and/or plastic disk to seal the jars. Screw on tightly and wipe down the sides.
- EAT and ENJOY