recipe steak and kidney pie jamie oliver
Low Carb and High Fat / Keto Steak, Kidney Pie. This is not a quick recipe. You will need to cook it for at least 2 hours.
Although it isn’t quite like flakey pastry it’s close enough! Even if the pie is not made, the filling is a delicious treat. It was worth all the effort.
Basic ingredients for recipe steak and kidney pie jamie oliver
- 100g (1 Cup) Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour, 5 tbsp (40.4g).
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
- 100g Butter, cubed & COLD
- 55g Cream Cheese, COLD
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Egg Yolk (Optional, but it will give your pie a shiny finish).
- FILLING INGREDIENTS 2 tbsp oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive).
- 700g Steak, diced (I recommend Braising Steak).
- 200g (7oz.) Kidney, diced (I recommend Lamb or Ox).
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 6 small/medium Mushrooms
- Almond Flour 30g
- 850ml (3.5 Cups) Beef Stock (3 x beef stock cubes, 850ml/3.5 cup hot water)
- Salt & Pepper to your liking
- Worcestershire Sauce with a dash
How to make recipe steak and kidney pie jamie oliver
- First, make the pie base. Now add almond flour and coconut flour to a medium bowl. Mix everything until it is well combined.
- Add the cream cheese and cold butter. Blend for a few seconds to make it crumbly.
- Pulse in the egg and vinegar until the dough begins to form. However, it should not become a ball. It should look more like cookie dough than breadcrumbs. This is easier if you have a food processor.
- The dough should be rolled out onto cling wrap/saran wrap. Once the dough is rolled, form a ball. Now The dough should be kept in the refrigerator for at least one hour or until you are ready to fill it.
- While the dough cools, prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a large pan. Brown both sides of the steak. Remove the steak once it is browned and transfer it to a bowl.
- Brown the kidney on both sides. Cook the onions and mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes.
- Place the beef back in the pan, and then coat it with almond flour.
- Now Stir in the beef stock and bring it to a boil.
- Let the mixture simmer covered for between 50 and 70 minutes. This time will vary depending upon how hot your heat is. The sauce should be thick and narky.
- Turn off the heat and add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and mix. Let cool.
- Take your chilled dough out of the refrigerator and divide it into two. After this, Roll them between two sheets of parchment paper to make two thin circles to fit in your pie pan.
- This dough is very fragile, so it will be necessary to work quickly and in cold temperatures. Remember If your dough becomes too soft or starts to break, you can pinch the cracks and return it to the freezer for a few more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- After your dough has been shaped into circles, place them in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before baking. This will prevent cracking and make the crust flakier. Place one piece of frozen dough in a pie pan. Use your fingers to shape your base. This should bake for between 13-15 minutes until it turns golden. Add your filling and remove it from the oven. To make your pie top, take the remaining raw dough from the freezer. Place four slits on the top. Put it back in the oven for 13-15 more minutes. Enjoy this recipe steak and kidney pie jamie Oliver.