Slow-cooked, fall apart beef with tomato sauce and red wine. Only 10 minutes of preparation is required. Then, leave it to cook in an oven or slow cooker. I like to make large batches of ragu so that I have leftovers for freezing.
Basic ingredients for ragu recipe
- 1 kg Braising beef chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions chopped and 4 medium carrots chopped into small chunks
- 3 sticks celery chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic minced and 2 tbsp tomato paste/paste
- 300ml (1 1/4 cup) hot beef stock (water plus 2 stock cubes is fine)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- to serve: Rigatoni pasta
How to make ragu recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/325F (fan).
- Mix the braising beef with the flour and salt in a bowl.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Brown the beef.
- Cook the onion with the beef for 3-4 minutes on low heat until it starts to soften.
- Cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste (paste), then turn on the heat. Let it bubble for about a minute. Take out any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes, beef broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Now Stir and cover the pan with a lid.
- Bake the beef for about 3-4 hours
- (Note:)until it is tender. To ensure that the sauce doesn’t run dry, check it every hour. If the sauce is starting to dry, add a splash of boiling liquid.
- Serve the rigatoni once it is cooked. If you prefer, you can either stir the sauce through the rigatoni or simply serve the sauce directly on top.
- Now Serve with cheese and parsley. You can make it in the easy slow cooker. This recipe can be made in the slow cooker. Bring to a boil and then, pour the contents into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 or high for 4-5 hours. It can be frozen. Make the ragu and cool it quickly. Cover it with plastic wrap and freeze. You can freeze the ragu in smaller portions, but I prefer to freeze one or two portions. Freeze overnight in the fridge. Large portions will take longer to defrost. Now Heat in a saucepan on medium heat until it is hot all the way through. Stir occasionally.