potato rosti recipe
Basic ingredients for potato rosti recipe
- 1 lb (or about 450g) of potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5-1 tbsp clarified butter (AKA Ghee)
- Salt and pepper to your taste
How to make potato rosti recipe
- Begin by peeling the potatoes. Next, boil the water and then cook them for 8-10 minutes. The potatoes should be soft enough that you can poke them with a chopstick, but not too hard.
- This helps prevent oxidation (where potatoes turn brown) and ensures that potatoes are cooked through in the pan. After the potatoes are done, cool them in an ice bath. Then, place them in the refrigerator overnight.
- This will allow the potatoes to become firmer, making it easier to grate them. It also helps dehydrate the potatoes so they are less sticky and easier to brown in the oven. The next day, use a grater or food processor to grate the potatoes into uniform strips. Then, add your clarified butter and salt to the mixture.
- Place your potato in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. To create a crust on the bottom, press the rosti down gently. Let rest for 7 minutes. Lightly oil 2 plates with oil while the rosti cooks.
- Next, place the rosti on a plate. After this, flip the rosti over onto the second plate. Now heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Fry the other side of the rosti for 7 more minutes. Once both sides are crisp, serve the rosti. Tip: Serve with a sunny-side-up egg.