potato fennel onion gratin
This dish is a must-have in any kitchen. This dish transforms any dinner into an unforgettable dining experience. It’s also easy to make ahead. It can be multiplied to feed a large crowd.
Basic ingredients for potato fennel onion gratin
- This potato-fennel gratin can be used to make a meal of 4 to 6 1 1/2 pound russet potatoes
- 600g 1 small fennel bulb
- 140g, 150g 1 medium onion
- 150g 4oz or 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, 113g 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon butter and salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 250ml double crème
How to make potato fennel onion gratin
- Preheat oven to 350F. Now The oven rack should be placed in the middle of the oven. Take out the bottom of the fennel bulb. After this, Slice in half and then remove the core.
- These vegetables can be sliced with a mandolin, a food processor’s slicing disc, or a mandolin. Slice all vegetables to a thickness of 1/8″ to 1/4″, or 3-4mm.
- Pour olive oil in a 10-inch skillet on medium heat. Next, add the butter, followed by the onion and fennel. Once the vegetables are starting to saute, reduce the heat to low and add salt to taste.
- Finally, cover the pan with a lid. Now Cook the vegetables for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. The vegetables should not brown. After this, The pan should be taken off the heat.
- Add the potatoes to the pan. Season them with salt and pepper. Mix the cream, 1 cup cheese, and nutmeg.
- Mix the ingredients and remove any potato pieces that are stuck together. Check the seasoning by tasting.
- Put the potato mixture in a butter-buttered, 20cm-long gratin dish. Add the 1/2 cup cheese remaining on top.
- Bake the casserole for an hour. Cover it with foil. Remove foil. Now Return to the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cheese has browned and the knife passes through the potatoes easily.
- Now Before serving, let the casserole rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy! As the casserole bakes, its height will decrease. A smaller gratin can be used to make a thicker serving, but it will affect the cooking time.