plain scone recipe mary berry
Basic ingredients for plain scone recipe mary berry
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons sugar (optional),
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 sticks, unsalted butter chilled
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 small egg (optional), + 1 more for brushing
How to make plain scone recipe mary berry
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C. Prepare your parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Mix the dry ingredients by cracking an egg in a separate bowl. Next, add buttermilk to the bowl. After this, use a box grater to grate the butter. This should be done as fast as possible to avoid the butter becoming soft.
- Add the butter to the flour. Mix the butter into the flour. The mixture should look like soft breadcrumbs. Mix in the dry ingredients. Make a sticky dough by folding in the wet ingredients. To avoid making tough scones, please don’t overwork the dough. Use flour to flour a work surface.
- Now Dust your hands with flour, and then gently knead the dough to about 12 inches. After this, Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough. If you don’t have a cookie-cutter, you can also use a cup or round glass to cut the cookies. Place parchment paper-lined baking sheet on a prepared baking tray. Now Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.