pasta alla norma recipe jamie oliver
Pasta Alla norma is a Sicilian favorite. It has all the best. The perfect pasta shape to serve it with is Pasta Alla Norma. Crispy eggplant, salty Ricotta cheese, and luscious tomato sauce. Fun fact: Pasta al norma is named after Bellini’s 19th-century opera, Norma. I guarantee you will be singing your way back into the pan to get more of this delicious eggplant pasta delight.
Basic ingredients for pasta alla norma recipe jamie oliver
- 300g/8oz Casarecce Dry Pasta
- Small bunch of fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Ricotta Salata (Up to 250g)
- 1 can peeled tomatoes or 1 x bottle passata
- 1-2 eggplants
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Salt + Pepper
- 5L water
How to make pasta alla norma recipe jamie oliver
- Pasta Alla norma requires tender, high-quality eggplants. To do this, trim the top and bottom of one or two eggplants and then cut them into strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan or deep pan. When the oil reaches 180°C/356°F, or you can see that it is ready, add the vegetable oil. Place a few of the strips into the oil and fry them! Pasta Alla Norma is all in the crispy eggplant.
- Once the eggplant strips have been fried, take them out of the oil and place them on a plate covered with paper towels. Let the oils cool down and allow the eggs to dry. While you make your sauce, add 5L of water to a large saucepan. This Sicilian Eggplant Pasta is made with fresh tomato sauce. Place the chopped tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Crush them using a vegetable mashing tool. After creating a tomato puree, season it with salt and stir in a wooden spoon. Now heat a large pan on the stove on low-medium heat. After it is heated up, add a generous amount of extra virgin olive oils. After the oil has warmed slightly, crush the garlic cloves and add them to the saucepan. Stir.