nigel slater cottage pie recipe
My traditional Shepherd’s pie recipe with creamy mashed potatoes and rich gravy, just like my mum used to make. Here are my top tips to make a crispy top, creamy mash, and rich meat sauce. I also show you how you can make a delicious jug of rich gravy.
Basic ingredients for nigel slater cottage pie recipe
- 1.8kg (4lb) floury potato Maris Piper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oils
- 2 large onions, peeled, chopped
- 2 stick celery finely chopped 2 carrots
- 900g (2lb) minced lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (check it is a gluten-free version if necessary)
- 1l (4 1/2 cup) beef or lamb stock
- 120ml (1/4 cup) double (heavy), cream 120g (8tbs) unsalted butter
- 2 heaped tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
How to make nigel slater cottage pie recipe
- Place the potatoes in an ovenproof pan. Cover with cold water. After this, Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, heat the oven to 200C/400F. In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Cook the carrot, celery, and onions on medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Mix the minced lamb with the oil and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up any bits as you go.
- Add half of the salt, Worcestershire sauce, and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- The potatoes should be done by this point. Now Use a potato ricer to mash the potatoes.
- Mix the cream, butter, and any remaining salt and pepper.
- To thicken the sauce, combine the cornflour and 2 tbsp cold water.
- Turn off the heat. Use a spoon to scoop the lamb mixture out of the pan. You should be able to remove most of the gravy from the pan.
- Serve the lamb with the mashed potatoes and flatten it with a spoon.
- Use a fork to scrape the top of the mash.
- Now Bake for 20 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are golden brown.
- The gravy should be heated, and then the shepherd’s Pie can be served with the gravy.