mini coffee and walnut cake mary berry
Basic ingredients for mini coffee and walnut cake mary berry
- Sponge: 300g softened fat
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs
- 285g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 150g chopped nuts
- 3 tbsp strong espresso paste
- Buttercream: 500g softened margarine
- 1kg sifted unrefined sugar
- 340g cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp Strong coffee paste (made using 2 heaped teaspoons. of espresso powder)
- Topper: Chopped walnuts and Gold spray
How to make mini coffee and walnut cake mary berry
- Preheat the oven to a 180° fan. Grease and line three x 8″ tins. Use a stand mixer to whip the butter and sugar until it is pale and fluffy. Mix in the coffee paste. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Scrape down the bowl. I am cracking the eggs one at a time into a small bowl. Next, add the flour to the mixture. Mix until well combined. Mix in the walnuts. Divide the batter equally into the 8-inch tins.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the sponge is springy when a skewer is inserted into it. Check out my video on buttercream basics for my top buttercream tips! Make the buttercream using a stand mixer by adding 1/5 of the icing sugar and then adding the soft butter.
- Slowly mix until no more powder is left in the bowl. Next, increase the speed to whip it up until lightened and fluffy. Mix in half of the coffee paste and icing sugar. Once the mixture is well combined, increase the speed and whip.
- Mix in the remaining icing sugar and allow it to combine. Beat on high for a few minutes. Mix in the room-temperature cream cheese. Beat until light and fluffy. For some extra BLING, decorate the cake with chopped walnuts.