watercress soup recipe
Chinese watercress soup is a great soup that has many health benefits. It’s one of my favorite soups. Growing up in Malaysia, I ate nourishing soups at least 3 times per week. I still do this when I return home for the holidays. This delicious watercress and chicken/pork broth can be made with red dates, goji berries, and dried scallops. These ingredients not only add flavor but are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Basic ingredients for watercress soup recipe
- 2 liters soup
- 3 chicken frames/carcass (approximately one kg)
- 500g pork bone/ribs 2 bunches watercress (this was a personal preference, each bunch is approximately 125g.)
- 10 red dates
- 2.5 liters water
- Enough water to cover all ingredients
- 3 thin slices of ginger smashed (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp Himalayan rose salt
- 1/4 tsp chicken broth powder.
How to make watercress soup recipe
- After trimming the roots and yellow leaves, soak the watercress in water for 4-5 minutes. Drain the dirt/sand and rinse off with water. Drain the watercress and place it aside.
- For about 10 minutes, place red dates, goji berries, and dried scallops into a small bowl. Drain the water and place it in a bowl.
- Boil chicken and pork bones until the water boils.
- Now Drain the bones and rinse them under running water in a colander.
- Place the washed bones in the pot. Boil water to cover all ingredients.
- Mix in washed watercress and goji berries. Add red dates, dried scallops, and goji berries. Bring the water to boil for approximately 5-10 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer immediately.
- Allow simmering for about 1 1/2-2 hours. Salt and/or chicken stock powder can be added to your liking. 9. Serve hot
- Notice: Some people like to add the watercress during the last 30 minutes of the cooking process. You will notice a brighter green vegetable and a stronger watercress flavor. You can adjust the cooking times to suit your taste.