vegetarian chili recipe
Basic ingredients for vegetarian chili recipe
- 250g or 4c white onions, medium diced
- 100g or 3/4c poblano, medium diced
- 15g minced garlic or 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil
- 25g or 2Tbsp tomato sauce
- 40g, or about 2, chipotle peppers (in adobo), small diced
- Chili powder, 20g or 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 15g or 2Tbsp smoked paprika
- Cumin: 15g or 2Tbsp
- 10g or 1 1/4Tbsp of cocoa
- 500g, 2 1/4c vegetable stock + extra thin chile if necessary
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 128oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 200g or 1c red lentils
- 2 15oz cans of black beans, drain and rinse 2 15oz Cans of kidney beans with juices
- Frozen corn 225g
- 10-15g or 3/4Tbsp soy sauce
- 15-20g brown sugar or 1 Tbsp
- 10-15g of 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Hot sauce: 10-15g or 1Tbsp
How to make vegetarian chili recipe
- Large heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, poblano, and salt. Stir until onions become translucent (2-3min). Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle chili peppers, and other spices. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in 500g vegetable stock and tomatoes. Make sure to stir everything together (even scraping the bottom to avoid burning). Stir in the lentils and bring to a boil.
- After this, Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the beans and corn. If necessary, add a little more vegetable stock to thin the chili.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes. To taste, add soy sauce and brown sugar. Taste, and adjust seasonings (i usually add a bit more salt).