twice baked cheese souffle
Basic ingredients for twice baked cheese souffle
- 3 Tbsp (45g) unsalted butter plus extra to ramekins
- 3 Tbsp (10g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL), 2% milk
- pinch ground nuts
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (250mL), whipping cream plus extra for brushing
- 2 cups (175g) coarsely grated Gruyere Cheese plus extra for sprinkles 3 Tbsp. (45mL), chopped fresh chives salt and pepper
How to make twice baked cheese souffle
- Make six 5-ounce (150mL) ramekins. Grease the ramekins with butter, then sprinkle in the Parmesan cheese. Allow the ramekins to cool before filling them and baking.
- After this, Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour. Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture bubbles and smells faintly almond-like. Use a whisk to add the third milk. Whisk the mixture for a few minutes. Mix in the rest of the milk. Now Continue whisking until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in the nutmeg. Make sure you have the egg yolks ready. Now In a small bowl, whisk some of the hot milk mixtures. After this, add the egg yolk mixture back into the pan. Once the mixture has cooled, add the cream and then transfer it to a bowl. Stir in the cheese and chives once the mixture has cooled to room temp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Now whip the egg whites using a stand mixer. Fold in a third of the whipped creams into the base. They will deflate as they fold, which is normal. Then fold in the remaining three-thirds until well blended. Place the whipped cream in chilled ramekins. These should be baked for 30 minutes until they are puffy and golden brown. To loosen the souffle from their ramekins, use a palette knife and place them on a baking tray. Flip them over so that they are straight. You can make the souffle up to this point in advance and keep them chilled. Now Just bring them back to room temperature before baking. The souffle can also be made hot in ramekins.
- Increase the oven temperature by 400 F (200 C) for the second baking. The souffle should besoufflesly brushed with whipping cream. This will ensure that they remain soft in the middle. Bake the souffle for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted completely. Serve immediately by lifting the souffles onto plates.