simple comforts chilli con carne
Basic ingredients for simple comforts chilli con carne
- white chili chicken: 1 tbsp olive oils
- 1 regular onion – chopped and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 jalapenos – finely chop (use one jalapeno, and remove the seeds if it’s too hot).
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded, chopped into chunks
- 720ml 3 cups high-quality chicken stock (use fresh or bouillon to make it gluten-free).
- 2 x 300g cannellini beans – 10.5oz tins, drained, rinsed
- 120 ml 1/2 Cup Milk (semi or whole) Meat from 1 whole cooked chicken – shred (remove skin) juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cornflour-cornstarch mixture
- 4 tbsp of cold water to make the slurry (optional). To serve: Boiled rice Tortilla chips Fresh coriander – cilantro roughly chopped Grated cheese Sour cream Sliced Jalapenos
How to make simple comforts chilli con carne
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the chopped onion. Fry for 5-6 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Mix in the garlic, salt and pepper, cumin ground coriander ginger jalapenos, yellow pepper chunks, and cumin.
- Stir for three minutes to allow the spices to release their aromas.
- Add the stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- The cannellini beans are next and should be cooked for 5 minutes more until they are heated through.
- Add the milk to the saucepan and stir. Finally, add the chicken shredded. Let simmer for 5 minutes, then bring back to boil.
- Mix in half of the lime juice and taste. If necessary, add more lemon juice or seasoning.
- Stir in half the cornflour mixture if you want the sauce thicker. If necessary, add the rest.
- Turn off the heat, and serve the boiled rice over tortilla chips. Serve with grated cheddar, fresh coriander, and some more jalapeno slices.