mary berry simple comforts chilli con care
Basic ingredients for mary berry simple comforts chilli con carne
- white chili chicken: 1 tbsp olive oils
- 1 regular onion – chopped and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 jalapenos – finely chop (use one jalapeno, and remove the seeds if it’s too hot).
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded, chopped into chunks
- 720ml 3 cups high-quality chicken stock (use fresh or bouillon to make it gluten-free).
- 2 x 300g cannellini beans – 10.5oz tins, drained, rinsed
- 120 ml 1/2 Cup Milk (semi or whole) Meat from 1 whole cooked chicken – shred (remove skin) juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cornflour-cornstarch mixture
- 4 tbsp of cold water to make the slurry (optional). To serve: Boiled rice Tortilla chips Fresh coriander – cilantro roughly chopped Grated cheese Sour cream Sliced Jalapenos
How to make mary berry simple comforts chilli con carne
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the chopped onion. Fry for 5-6 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Mix in the garlic, salt and pepper, cumin ground coriander ginger jalapenos, yellow pepper chunks, and cumin.
- Stir for three minutes to allow the spices to release their aromas.
- Add the stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- The cannellini beans are next and should be cooked for 5 minutes more until they are heated through.
- Add the milk to the saucepan and stir. Finally, add the chicken shredded. Let simmer for 5 minutes, then bring back to boil.
- Mix in half of the lime juice and taste. If necessary, add more lemon juice or seasoning.
- Stir in half the cornflour mixture if you want the sauce thicker. If necessary, add the rest.
- Turn off the heat, and serve the boiled rice over tortilla chips. Serve with grated cheddar, fresh coriander, and some more jalapeno slices. Enjoy this mary berry simple comforts chilli con carne