savoury shortcrust pastry recipe
Basic ingredients for savoury shortcrust pastry recipe
- Plain flour, 225g
- For rolling, add 2 tablespoons of extra flour
- 50g of Margarine
- The yolk of one egg (optional).
- Water, 3-4 tablespoons
- Caster sugar for dessert spoons
- Serves 4 (makes 225g of pastry)
- One fine sieve
- Mixing bowl: 1
- One tablespoon
- 1 knife with a round end
- One marble or wooden slab for rolling
- Two knives with round ends
How to make savoury shortcrust pastry recipe
- Prepare all the ingredients and equipment you will need for the pastry. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Chill the pastry, or freeze it, but defrost it at room temperature for 2-3 hours before using.
- After this, Sift 225g of plain flour into a large mixing bowl, add 1 dessert spoon of caster sugar, 50g of margarine, and 1 egg yolk. Using a round-ended knife, cut the fat into the flour.
- Now Rub the fat into the flour using your fingertips until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Do not allow the fat to melt or become sticky. Remember If you are using two round knives, cut the fat between the knives using a crisscross pattern.
- Mix all the fat into the mixture and make a well in the middle. Add 3-4 tablespoons of very cold water at a time and stir. Once the mixture comes together, stop adding water and use your hands to bring it together.
- Place the pastry on a floured surface and knead lightly for a couple of minutes. Now Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill.
- Then wash up and clean up.