This is the perfect dessert for an afternoon Fika! This recipe was created to accompany the Museum of Danish America’s traveling exhibition “New Nordic Cuisine”.
Basic ingredients for rhubarb dessert
- 600g oats 500g all-purpose flour
- 300g brown sugar
- 450g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rhubarb jam
- 2 cups cream butter until light and fluffy
How to make rhubarb dessert
- Mix in the brown sugar, and mix for 2-3 more minutes. Continue to mix eggs. Mix in the barley flour and then the all-purpose flour. Take care not to overmix. Continue to stir the mixture.
- Next, add the oats. You can also add the chocolate to the mixture and mix it until well combined. It will be sticky but that’s okay. Place the dough on a parchment-covered surface and cover it with another piece of parchment paper.
- Then, gently flatten it. Use a rolling pin to roll 1/3 of the dough to approximately 1″ thickness Refrigerate. Now Use parchment paper to line the bottom and sides of a pie pan.
- Place the rest of the dough in the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Make sure it is at least 1 inch thick. Add the rhubarb jam. Cut the cooled, rolled dough in thin strips using a knife (approx. Use a knife to cut the cooled, rolled dough into thin strips (approx. Bake at 400F/200C for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.