red currant jelly recipe
- 500gm Redcurrants, after washing
- 350-400 gm of caster Sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or 1/2 tsp citric acid)
- 100ml water
How to make red currant jelly recipe
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat on medium heat. Once the sugar is melted, the fruit will begin to cook.
- Cook the juice for 10 minutes. It should take about 10 minutes. It should thicken within 10 minutes. Reduce heat. To avoid burning, continue stirring to achieve an even consistency.
- How do you know if it is ready for bottling? Place a few drops on a plate. Tilt the plate gently. Continue this process until it becomes a jelly-like consistency. It is now ready for bottling.
- Turn off the heat. Set all the sterilized jars on a tea towel. This will prevent jam jars from cracking when filling hot jelly. The lid should be tightly closed and filled to the top.