mary berry recipe for simnel cake
Simnel Cake is a traditional Easter cake that we eat in the UK. It is lighter than a fruit cake, and my version is more sponge-like with fruit. My baking is enhanced with marzipan, which adds a delicious almond flavor to the sponge.
Basic Ingredients for mary berry recipe for simnel cake
- 115g baking margarine 115g caster sugar plus additional for rolling out 2 large, free-range eggs
- Self-raising flour 125g Mixed dried fruit, 225g 75g quartered glace cherries 500g Marzipan Apricot jam Cocoa powder for dusting
How do you make a mary berry recipe for simnel cake
- Pre-heat oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas
- Line the sides and base of a 6-inch round cake tin.
- Mix the sugar and margarine until smooth. Mix in one egg and a tablespoon of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in the second egg. Beat again. Stir in all four eggs and all of the fruit.
- Spread a little icing sugar onto a work surface. Roll out a 6-inch circle of marzipan. Then fill the tin with half of the cake mix. Add the marzipan round and then the rest.
- After this,Bake for one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes, or until a skewer is inserted into the center comes out very clean. Let cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then take it out and let cool on a wire rack.
- Now Apply a thin layer of jam to the top of your cake. Use the cake tin to cut another round of marzipan, and use it to top the cake.
- After this,Use the rest of the marzipan to make eleven mini balls. Place the marzipan balls around the edges of the cake. Use the jam to hold them in place. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.