recipe for dauphinoise potatoes
We love potato casseroles, but this dish is our favorite so far. The flavor is amazing, each bite just melts in your mouth. Our simple and delicious recipe is super easy, and uses very few ingredients, but tastes extra delicious. It’s a comfort food. Hope you like it. Enjoy.:)
Yields: 3~4 servings
Baking Dish size：13x17x5cm
Basic ingredients for recipe for dauphinoise potatoes
- 500g of potatoes (peeled, net weight)
- 250ml of milk
- 100ml whipping cream
- 70 grams of Gruyère cheese
- 15 grams of butter
- Nutmeg powder, a pinch
- If the cheese is too salty, reduce the salt to 3.5g
- O.T. black pepper
How to make recipe for dauphinoise potatoes
- Rub the inside of the baking dish with the garlic and the half of softened butter. Set aside.
- Shredding the cheese. You can use whatever shredder you have on hand, just make sure the cheese is cold.
- Toss the potatoes and just peel and thinly slice the potatoes to 2mm~3mm thick (500g). Don’t soak them.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, whipping cream, and cheese over medium-high heat. While the cheese is melted, then season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder. Stir to blend.
- When it comes to simmer, reduce the heat to low, and put the potato slices into the pan, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, since potatoes release their starch into the liquid, it will help thicken the sauce. Re-season if needed.
- Layer half the potato slices in the dish, spoon some sauce over the potatoes, then finish off layering the rest of the potato slices, the slices can overlap slightly. Pour over the rest of the sauce.
- Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and dot the butter, finishing with sprinkling the cheese to cover the potatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, and bake for 70~80 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is crisp and golden brown.
- Once baked, cool down for several minutes, then serve and enjoy.