This simple pulled pork recipe uses pork shoulder (or butt), pantry seasonings, and coke to tenderize and add sweetness.
Basic ingredients for pulled pork recipe
- 4 lb pork shoulder, or butt (2.2kg)
- 2 Tablespoons oil (30ml),
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar (15g),
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (8g),
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (23.3g),
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (33.3g),
- 1 teaspoon cumin (2g),
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (5.5g),
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (2.3g),
- 12 ounces coke (not die) 355ml bbq sauce to coat meat optional
How to make pulled pork recipe
- Cut the pork into four pieces and trim excess fat. Mix spices together in a small bowl. Rub all over pork. Now This can also be done the night prior. Sear (optional). Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Now Sear the meat for a few seconds on each side.
- Oven Method: Heat oven to 300°F. Add coke to the Dutch oven pot. Cook for 3 hours. Cover the pot with a lid. Now Cook for another 1-2 hours until pork is tender. Take out of the oven and shred the meat. Toss in barbecue sauce, if desired.
- Slow Cooker Method: Place pork into a slow cooker. Pour coke around it. After this, Cook on LOW for 8 hours (recommended), or high for 4-5 hrs, until pork is tender.
- Instant Pot Method: Place the pork in an instant pot, and then pour coke all over it. Cook at High Pressure/Manual for 70 minutes. Allow the pot to release naturally when the timer goes off.