pork and apple casserole
This Pork & Apple Casserole makes a cozy, comforting meal that will lift everyone’s spirits. It also ensures clear plates.
Basic ingredients for pork and apple casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g (1/1 lb) Pork shoulder steaks cut into large pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion – chopped and peeled
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped and peeled 240ml (1 Cup) dry cider
- 420ml (1 3/4 cup) chicken or vegetable broth – water plus 2 stock cubes.
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 80ml (1/3 cup), double (heavy), cream
- 2 dessert apples – cut into wedges (not too thick or they’ll break apart) – I use Jazz apple slices
- Serve fresh sage leaves
- Freshly sliced apples to be served with roasted radishes and broccoli.
How to make pork and apple casserole
- Preheat your oven to 170c. After this, Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Add the pork and season it with salt and pepper. To seal the meat, heat on high heat and turn once or twice.
- Mix the mushrooms and onions in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms soften.
- Cook the garlic for another minute.
- Add the cider, stock, and dried sage.
- Bring to a boil. After this, Cover this pot with a lid and bake for ninety minutes. It’s important to check on it occasionally so that it doesn’t dry out. Add a little water if it’s dry.
- After the pork has been cooked for 90 minutes in the oven, remove it from the oven and mix in the cream and apple slices.
- Put the lid back on, and bake for 25 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Serve with green vegetables, mashed potatoes, or roast potatoes
- My favorite toppings for my casserole are sage leaves, thinly-sliced apples, and a grind of black pepper.
- It can be frozen. Yes, you can freeze it. First, make the casserole. Then cool down. Freeze the casserole in the fridge overnight. Then, heat according to the instructions. Enjoy this pork and apple casserole.