orange zest mince pies
Basic ingredients for orange zest mince pies
- Ingredients for filling: Dried fruit x 300g
- Orange x 1 juice, zest
- Brandy 2 to 4 tbsp
- Ground ginger 1 tsp
- Ground nutmeg 1/4 tsp
- Ground cloves 1 tsp
- Ground cloves 1/4 tsp
- Apple Puree 6 tbsp (please refer below).
- Ingredients for the pastry: Wholemeal spelled flour, or p flour,
- 150g; Unsalted butter,
- 150g; Orange, x juice, and zest 1 to 2
How to make orange zest mince pies
- Place the dried fruit in a bowl with spices, orange juice, zest, and brandy (optional). Mix with the spoon. Let stand for between 4 and 24 hours.
- Apple, Sauce: Peel, chop, and core the apples and pear. Now Place the apples and pears in a large saucepan. Add the lemon juice, zest, and water. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Turn the heat down to allow the mixture to simmer. Cook the apples for approximately 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Let cool on the stove. Once cool, transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Bake for the pastry:Combine the butter and flour in a large bowl. Mix the butter and flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Mix in the remaining butter until the mixture is the consistency of small peas. After this, Make a well in the center of the bowl. The lemon juice should be added next. Mix the egg.
- Add the egg one at a time to the well, using a spoon or a knife. Don’t add milk to the mixture if it looks like it can form a ball. Add the milk slowly until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. After this, knead the dough until it is smooth. Form into a ball and wrap it in clingfilm. Let cool for 30 minutes before you use it. Place the pastry in the refrigerator and let it rest for half an hour. Mix the dried fruit mixture with 4 to 6 tablespoons of apple puree. Set aside.
- Remember The pastry should be about 1/4 cm thick. It is possible to cut the pastry into sections. This pastry can be molded together in a similar way to playdough. Cut 1 large and 1 small circle using the cutter. Continue this process until you have used all of the pastry.
- Place the larger rounds on the bottom of the muffin tray. Fill the remaining 12 holes with pastry. You should use 300g of dried fruits to fill 12 mince pies. However, you might need to add some filling. Place the smaller round on top of the larger one. Place the tops in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.