one pot sausage casserole
This is a classic recipe we have been enjoying for years. It is originally a Hairy Bikers recipe, which my Mum modified to be keto-friendly (the original recipe had beans and other ingredients). This hearty dish is great for any season, but it’s especially good on cold winter days.
Basic ingredients for one pot sausage casserole
- 2 tbsp Oil (Avocado, Olive, or Coconut)
- 10 Pork Sausages (ALWAYS CHECK CARBS BEFORE BUYING)
- 6 Bacon Slices, cut into small squares or strips
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- Four Small Carrots, peeled and chopped
- Two Garlic Cloves, minced (or 2 tsp Garlic Puree)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika – 400g (14oz) Canned Chopped Tomatoes (ALWAYS CHECK CARBS BEFORE BUYING)
- 300ml Chicken Stock (I use 300ml Hot Water and 1 Chicken Stock Cube)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp sweetener (I used Erythritol)
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Fresh Thyme Springs
How to make one pot sausage casserole
- Place the oil and sausages in a large saucepan with a lid. Heat on low-medium heat. Turn the sausages occasionally until they are well browned (about 15 minutes). Set aside the sausages.
- Add the bacon to your pan. Cook until the bacon is crispy. Remove and place in a bowl.
- Now add the butter, onions, and carrots to the pan. Stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Stir in the garlic. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. Now Stir in the paprika, and continue cooking for a few more seconds.
- Mix the can tomatoes, tomato puree, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the sweetener, sweetener mixed herbs, bay leaves, and thyme stems. Mix well.
- CAREFULLY return the bacon and sausages to the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Stir occasionally until sauce reaches your desired thickness. Enjoy!