lemon coconut cake
Basic Ingredients for lemon coconut cake
- Two and half cups cake and pastry flour 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- One Tbsp baking powder
- Half tsp salt One lemon’s zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature and cut into pieces
- One cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Two Tbsp vegetable oils
- Four large eggs at room temperature Vanilla extract, 2 tsp (10mL)
Lemon Coconut Filling
- One cup whipping cream
- One cup granulated Sugar One lemon’s zest 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Two cups sweetened flaked coconut or shredded coconut
- Three large yolks of eggs
- Half cup unsalted butter cut into pieces Vanilla extract, one tsp , Coconut extract, half tsp (optional).
Sabayon Buttercream & Assembly
- Two large yolks of eggs 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- One lemon’s zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Two cups icing sugar.
- One and half cups unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces Vanilla extract, 2 tsp
How do you make lemon coconut cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F . 8-inch (20 cm diameter) round cake pans should be greased. Line the bottoms of the pans using parchment paper. Now Dust the sides with flour and tap out excess. In a large bowl Mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder . Stir in the lemon zest. Mix in the butter. Continue to mix on medium-low speed for two minutes or until the flour becomes crumbly and there are no butter pieces visible.
- Mix the buttermilk with oil, lemon juice, oil, and eggs in a separate bowl. Mix all of this with the flour. Next, beat the buttermilk, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla on low speed. After this, increase speed to medium-high and beat for one minute to lighten the color. Spread the batter evenly between the pans.
- Bake the cakes for thrity minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Now Let the cakes cool on a rack in the tins for thrity minutes, and then let them cool completely.Mix the cream, sugar, and lemon zest in a saucepan. Keep the egg yolks in one small dish, and the butter in another.
- The cream mixture should be brought to a simmer on medium heat and whisked for five minutes. To cook the eggs, add a tablespoon of cream to the egg yolks. Whisk the mixture for four minutes. Now Once the butter is melted, take the pan off the heat. Mix in the coconut extract and vanilla, if desired. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Cover the bowl and let it cool for at least four hours before you use it.
- Make the buttercream by whisking the egg yolks and sugar with the lemon zest and juice in an iron bowl. After this,Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the mixture doubles in volume. The mixture should be smooth when the whisk is lifted. The bowl should be taken off the heat.
- Once the mixture has cooled, add the icing sugar to the bowl. Use an electric beater or a stand mixer with the whip attachment to whip the sabayon for one minute. Next, add the soft butter in small pieces until you have a smooth buttercream. Add the vanilla. The buttercream should be served at room temperature. Each cake layer should be cut horizontally to assemble.
- After this,Place one layer of cake on a plate or cake stand. Use a large plain tip piping tip to pipe a circle around the outside of the cake. Spread a third of the chilled coconut filling into this ring. Continue to top this layer with another cake layer. The remaining buttercream should be used to cover the sides and top of the cake. Finally, coat the whole cake with coconut. Allow the cake to cool before serving. It is best to keep the cake in the refrigerator, but you can enjoy it as soon as it’s sliced and served.