lamb shanks in red wine
Basic ingredients for lamb shanks in red wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek and 1 carrot, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 Lamb shanks each about 300-350g
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 large rosemary sprigs
- 4 long slices of prosciutto Salt & Pepper
- 600ml beef stock
- 250ml Red Wine
- 90g pitted black olives
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
How to make lamb shanks in red wine
- First In a large frying pan, heat olive oil. Brown the lamb shanks for 4 minutes on each side.
- Allow cooling on the stove for 5 minutes. The frying pan and any juices should be kept ready to use. A rosemary sprig and piece of prosciutto should be placed on each lamb shank.
- Use a toothpick to secure the prosciutto. Place the shanks on a baking tray. Heat oven to 150C (low heat). Add stock to the pan and stir. Stir in salt and pepper. Bring to boil tomato paste and wine. Now let it simmer for about a minute before removing it from heat.
- Pour the wine stock on top of the lamb shanks. Reverse a quarter for the vegetable mix. For the first 2 hours of cooking, cover with foil. For about 3-4 hours, slow cook the shanks.
- Heat olive oil in a pan until shanks are ready. Stir in onions and fry until tender. Cook for 2 minutes more. Add the carrots. Cook for 1 min or until tender. Combine with vegetables. Stir in the leek.
- Now Fry for 3 minutes or until it is soft. Fry for a further 2 minutes. Add parsley & olives. Mix well. Bring to boil the reserved wine stock. Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Keep warm. Place vegetable mixture on the base of the plate. Add a lamb shank to the plate. Pour some juices over the meat. Serve immediately.