Basic ingredients for lamb orzo recipe
- 5 lamb shanks
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can of pureed tomato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound of uncooked orzo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- Garnish with feta cheese, freshly grated parmesan cheese, and parsley
How to make lamb orzo recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and 232 degrees Celsius.
- Now Sprinkle a small amount of olive oil on the lamb shanks.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides. They can be roasted in a preheated oven for 35 mins until they are nicely browned. This eliminates the need to brown the lamb on the stovetop. The sauce can be prepared while the lamb is baking in the oven.
- Cook the chopped onions in the oil on medium heat for 15 minutes, or until they are softened and golden. Cook the chopped garlic for 5 minutes on low heat, until it is softened and golden. Add the puréed canned tomatoes, salt, and pepper, as well as spices.
- Bring to boil 4 cups of water. After the lamb has browned, take it out of the oven. Now Spread the tomato sauce on top of the lamb. Place the lamb on a tray and cover it with foil. Bake for one hour at 450° Fahrenheit.
- Reduce the heat to 375° Fahrenheit or 191° Celsius after an hour. Continue cooking for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the meat falls off the bone. Take the meat out of the oven and let it cool. If the sauce needs more salt, adjust the seasoning. Bring 3 cups of water to boil.
- Mix the uncooked orzo with the lamb and sauce. Mix the 3 cups of boiling water with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Combine all ingredients well. Now cover the pan with foil and return it to the oven. Bake at 425°F, 218°C for 15 minutes. After this, Cover the pan with foil and bake for 10 minutes. To stop the orzo cooking, take the baking pan out of the oven.
- Pour 1 cup of ice into the baking pan. Mix the ingredients well. This will prevent the orzo from dehydrating and turning mushy. This also enhances the flavor of the sauce. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, crumbled feta cheese, or freshly chopped parsley.