Basic Ingredients for fried steak
Total: 1 hr 25 min
Prep: 45 min
Inactive: 10 min
Cook: 30 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 pounds of beef bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
How to make fried steak
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan.
Now Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. After this, Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the meat, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Now dredge this meat again in the flour, followed by the egg, and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Now Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
- After this, Place enough of the vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 13-inch slope-sided skillet and set it over medium-high heat. Now Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches. Remember to be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Now Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. After this, Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half sheet pan and place them into the oven. Now Repeat until all of the meat is browned.
- After this add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least one tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in three tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Now Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. After this, Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Mix the 1/2 cup milk and thyme and whisk together until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately five to ten minutes. Season to taste, with a pinch of salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.