flaky pastry sausage rolls
Basic ingredients for flaky pastry sausage rolls
- Pastry: 500g / 3 cups all-purpose white flour (mine contains 11.5% protein)
- 7g/ 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 325g/ 3 sticks Unsalted Butter diced (fridge temp)
- 60g/ 1 stick of Frozen butter to grate later when you roll out the dough
- 250g/ 1 cup Water (Fridge temp) – I used half this amount but you might need more.
- Filling: 1 Kilo/2.2 pound Pork mince (50% pork shoulder, 50% pork belly) 100g/2/3 cup Dried breadcrumbs (or rusk – an ingredient that is specific to sausage making)
- 200g/1 cup Milk 3.5% Fat Big handful Flat leafed Parsley chopped 10g/1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 5g/1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 50g/1/cup Water (fridge temp)
How to make flaky pastry sausage rolls
- You will need to rub the butter into the flour with the salt. Repeat the rolling process by rolling the dough out again into a rectangle.
- Now Let the dough cool for about 15 minutes before rolling it out again. You can use the dough immediately, but it may be a little soft so cover it and put it in the fridge.
- Filling:Before making the sausage mix, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk. After this, Mix all the ingredients, except the water, in a bowl. I like to squeeze between my fingers and fists.
- The goal is to combine all the ingredients and create a sticky texture. You can add water if the mixture becomes too stiff. I used approximately 50g. Place your sausage meat on the dough.
- Roll out the pastry and spread it evenly. I use egg wash to seal the pastry and leave a flap that you can crimp with a fork. Now Bake in the oven at 220C for 20-25 minutes or until golden.