Basic ingredients for coffee buns
- This recipe makes approximately 10 buns. 320g [2 1/2 cups] bread flour 5g[1 1/2 tsp] Instant dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 30g [2 Tbsp] Sugar
- 220ml [3/4 cup + 3 tbsp] Milk, lukewarm
- 30g[2 tbsp] Butter, softened
- Coffee Topping:1 egg 4g,
- 1 tbsp coffee powder 15ml,
- [1 cup+1/2 tbsp] sugar 75g,
- [1/2 cup+2 tbsp] flour
How to make coffee buns
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix them well.
- Add the warm milk to the well. Your milk should not be cold. It should be lukewarm. Mix the ingredients until you have a dough.
- Transfer the butter onto a work surface. Spread the butter. The dough will be very dry and very wet at this point. Do not add flour. Soft bread will be made by adding butter to the dough.
- Continue to knead for approximately 20 minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and soft. Take a small amount of the dough and test it. If the dough doesn’t crumble easily when pulled, you are good to go.
- Make a ball out of the dough. Now put the dough in a large, greased bowl.
- Cover it with cling wrap and let it rest for 45-60 minutes or until the size doubles.
- Cut 20 cubes of butter into small pieces, and refrigerate or place aside. The dough doubles in size after 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Optional: Use a weighing scale. Make a ball by pressing out any air. Let it sit for 15 minutes covered with a tea towel.
- Add a few butter cubes to the wrap. Form them into balls and seal them properly. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes. You can now add the coffee topping while it is still warm.
- Coffee Topping Egg Version: Beat the egg.
- Now Mix butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the egg. Mix well.
- Add the coffee. You will notice that the batter begins to curdle. Combine it thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour. The batter will be again mixed if it is well combined.
- Transfer it to a piping bag.