classic victorian christmas cake recipe
Basic ingredients for classic victorian christmas cake recipe
- 425g currants
- 250g each of sultanas or raisins
- 300g glace cherries, cut into small pieces, quartered, and rinsed
- 150g ready to eat dried apricots
- 75g mixed candied peel, roughly chopped
- 4TBSP brandy plus extra for pouring
- 300g plain bread
- 1 tsp ground mix spice
- 1/2 tsp freshly nutmeg
- 300g softened unsalted margarine
- 300g butter
- 300g softened unsalted butter
- 300g medium-range eggs
- 300g free-range orange
- Finely grated zest
- 60g unblanched almonds,
How to make classic victorian christmas cake recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the candied peel and dried fruit. Mix the brandy with the dried fruit and mix well. Now Cover the mixture and let it sit for at least one night.
- Preheat the oven to 140degC/fan120degC/gas 1. Now Place all the ingredients, except the almonds, in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to combine the ingredients. Mix in the nuts, soaked fruits, and any liquid.
- Butter a 23cm diameter cake pan or a 20cm square one, then line it with baking paper. Place the mixture in the prepared tin. Cover the top with baking paper.
- Now Bake for about 4-5 hours or until the cake is firm to the touch. Let the cake cool in the tin.
- After the cake is cooled, take out the baking paper disc and pierce the top with a fork. Then, pour some brandy over the top. Keep the cake in the tin, but remove it from the baking paper. Wrap the cake in foil and wrap it with more baking parchment.
- Now Keep it in a cool place for at least 3 months. Once it has gotten to that point, wrap with more baking paper and then foil.
- You can decorate the cake with marzipan, glace fruit, or ready-to-use icing. Before serving, tie a ribbon around your cake.