classic rich fruit cake
Basic ingredients for classic rich fruit cake
- 700g Raisins
- 1050g Sultanas
- 600g Mixed Peel
- 60g Cherries
- 500g Norco unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Essence or 1 Tbspn Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbspn Treacle
- 60g Self Raising Flour
- 600g Plain Flour
- 1/2-tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Orange
- 120g Blanched almonds (optional). Norco Custard
How to make classic rich fruit cake
- Soak the fruit overnight Cut the raisins, sultanas, and mixed peel into equal pieces. In a large bowl, combine the cut fruits and currants. Mix the fruit well with the sherry and rum. Wrap the fruit in plastic wrap and let it soak for at least one night.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and salt. Use an electric mixer or something similar to beat until smooth.
- Mix eggs one at the time and beat well between each egg.
- To make butter, add vanilla, coffee essence, lemon essence, and treacle. Mix well.
- Combine flours, ground cloves, and mixed spices in a separate bowl
- Orange juice and almonds can be added to the fruit mix. Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients. Mix the mixture with a wooden spoon. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in butter mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Bake the baking paper on a 25 to 28 cm square pan. Spread the mixture evenly in the tin.
- TIP: To eliminate air bubbles, first spoon the mixture in the corners before filling the rest. You can also drop the tin on the ground or a table several times.
- TIP: Use a damp hand to press the mixture down.
- TIP: Cover the outside of your tin with newspaper before placing it in the oven. Secure with string. Also, you can place cardboard on top and underneath the tin. This will allow the cake to cook slower and not burn.
- Bake at 120°C for 4.5 to 5 hours, or until the cake is cooked. Check after 4 hours.
- TIP: Pay attention to the cake! If the cake is still hot, it has not been cooked and must be put back in the oven.
- Wrap the cake in tea towels and let cool. After the cake has cooled completely, take it out of the tin. Serve the cake as is or add Norco custard.