christmas chicken and mushroom pie
Basic ingredients christmas chicken and mushroom pie
- 400g chopped mushrooms
- A lot of butter (or oil, but butter tastes better)
- Large onion
- 1 lb cubed chicken breast
- 4 tbsp plain flour 300ml full-fat milk
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 to 1.5 tsp salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 box of ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 1 x Medium Free Range Egg (whisked).
How to make christmas chicken and mushroom pie
- Put your mushrooms and 80g of butter in a saucepan.
- Before removing the mushrooms, add 50g of butter to the pan and one roughly chopped onion.
- After the onion has softened, add your pieces of chicken (a tablespoon more butter).
- Once the chicken pieces are cooked, take the onion and chicken out of the pan.
- Continue to melt 50g of butter. Add 4tbsp plain flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Once you have formed the roux, which is the mixture you make when you mix cooked flour with butter, slowly add the milk. Whisking continuously until the mixture becomes lump-free, then pour in the chicken stock. You can also use veg stock.
- Add your seasonings (parsley, salt, pepper, oregano) to the mixture and give it a good mix.
- Now Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a pie plate once it has thickened. This is what I did. After the mixture had cooled, I used a ready-made puff pastry roll to cover my pie. After this, Place the pastry on a cooling tray and cut the shape of the lid. Cover the pastry with the cut pastry and seal it by crimping. To allow steam to escape, make sure you leave a small opening at the top.
- Now Mix the egg in a bowl and brush it liberally on top of the pastry
- After this, Bake the pie at 180C FAN for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbling away
- Let the pie sit for five minutes before you serve it.
- Tip: Make the filling ahead of time and let it cool in the refrigerator