chicken stew and dumplings
Basic ingredients for chicken stew and dumplings
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Tore into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oils
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup white wine or dry Vermouth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3.0 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
How to make chicken stew and dumplings
- You can also use 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken breasts or thighs if you don’t own a rotisserie bird. After they are cooked, heat the oil in a large pot and then follow the instructions below.
- After you have seared the pieces of chicken, cook them in the oven on a baking tray or in the chicken stock. Once the chicken is cooked, cut or tear it into small pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Heat a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Stir in the olive oil. Sauté the carrots, celery, and onion until tender. This should take between 8-and 10 minutes. Keep stirring. After this, Stir in the garlic and dried herbs, and continue to stir for 2 more minutes.
- Mix the flour with the oil. The flour will absorb some of the fat in the pan. It may brown slightly on the bottom, but don’t let that happen.
- Stir in the white wine/vermouth. Now add the chicken stock and the reserved chicken pieces. Bring to boil. Now Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make your dumplings while the stew is simmering. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Use two knives to cut the butter or pinch it with your fingers. You can also use a food processor to do this. Mix in the milk and fresh herbs until you have a sticky dough.
- Stir in the parsley and continue to stir the stew. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Place the dumplings in a large bowl on top of the stew. Allow the dumplings to cook for approximately 10 minutes on top of the stew. Cover the stew and dumplings with a lid and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Serve it up!