mary berry chicken and leek lattice pie
Basic ingredients for mary berry chicken and leek lattice pie
- 200g pancetta, bacon, chopped 6-8 (about 800-g) Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Chicken Thigh Fillets
- Sea salt flakes and white pepper to season
- 1 cup plain flour
- 600ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf Parsley
- 100g frozen baby beans
- 2 tsp of white wine vinegar Egg wash
- 2 egg yolks and a splash of thickened cream to brush Quick Flaky Pastry
- 500g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 180ml cold water
How to make mary berry chicken and leek lattice pie
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Add the butter to the bowl by cutting it into small cubes. Use your fingertips to mix the butter and flour until the mixture is smooth and sandy. Mix the flour with the water. Use your hands to combine the dough.
- Mix the dough until it comes together. Don’t overwork it. Make a ball with the dough. Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and then flatten it using your hands. Allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour before letting it cool. The dough should be rolled out on baking paper until it is 5mm thick. Put the dough in the refrigerator to chill.
- After this, In a large saucepan with a heavy base, cook the bacon or pancetta on medium heat until it becomes golden brown. Transfer the pancetta and bacon to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stirring occasionally, cook the chicken in two batches for about 4-5 minutes or until it is lightly golden. Place the chicken on top of the pancetta and bacon.
- Season the pan with the leek, celery, and onion. Now Allow the vegetables to cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are softened. Add the garlic and thyme. Cook on low heat until the garlic and thyme are softened. To deglaze the pan, increase heat to medium-high. After this, Reduce heat to low and simmer the mixture until it is almost reduced. Stir in the flour and mix well. Add the stock.
- Add the pancetta, bacon, and chicken back to the pan with any juices. Stirring occasionally simmers for 3 minutes. Bring to a boil the cream, chopped parsley, and peas. Add the vinegar. Season. Place the chicken mixture in four pie tins. Let cool in the refrigerator.
- After this, Preheat the oven to 180°C Slice the pastry into small pieces. Apply a small amount of egg wash to the edges of your tins. Now Place the pastry on top of the chicken mixture. Crimp the edges with your thumb. Use a knife to trim excess pastry. Salt the pastry with a little more egg wash. Bake the pastry for 30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crisp. Enjoy this mary berry chicken and leek lattice pie recipe.